Course Number: 95-740
Mobile Software Development
Mobile Phone industry is one of the fast growing businesses of current times and mobile phone subscribers have already surpassed the fixed phone line connections even in developing countries. Mobile media is dubbed as the seventh mass media. In countries such as Japan and South Korea, the internet usage is more on mobile devices than on computers. The use of twitter and email on mobile phone is growing at a fast pace too. The recent success of iPad sales is an indication of ever growing consumer hunger for this technology and wireless communication.
The technology requires development of software on mobile devices and need for the development of business solutions using the mobile devices. Leveraging this platform gives organization a big boost in productivity. Developing software for delivery of data and services to mobile devices offers challenges such as:
1. mobile device is constrained by battery power.
2. user can be interacting with mobile device and can’t be disturbed till the
user completes current tasks on the mobile.
3. mobile devices can be of multiple hardware platforms.
Keeping these in mind, Sun developed Java Mobile API for specific use in mobile application development. Today, most of the mobile phones support Java applications to run on them.
In this course, students will learn the skills for the development of mobile software using the Java knowledge they are already familiar with. They will get hands on experience in using IDE environment on desktop computers to develop simple applications and test them. They will also develop a business case for such a solution and development of future growth prospects which might lead to start-ups or collaboration with venture capitalists.
This course will provide students with an overview of the following critical technology, management, and policy topics.
* Technology infrastructure: Technologies that enable design, development and integration of Web 2.0 technologies as mobile device applications. Building on a basic understanding of internet and telecommunication technologies, an overview of technologies and technology trends will be provided. The objective is to equip you with the very latest thinking and provide you the required principles to formulate technology strategies in developing mobile applications for the business purpose.
* Organizational applications: Overview of information sharing on mobile phones and using the mobile phone as a productivity tool to ease one’s own work life.
* Policy Issues: Overview of the key legal and policy issues underlying mobile commerce. Issues such as privacy, security and online market presence will be discussed.