Handshake Online Recruiting System
Handshake is Carnegie Mellon's online recruiting system. Employers can request accounts to post jobs, request interviews and information sessions, and review student resumes. Students can submit resumes, sign up for interviews and find contact information for thousands of recruiters.
First time log-in
- Click on the Handshake link above
- Follow the instructions listed here: https://joinhandshake.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/218693378-How-do-I-sign-up-for-Handshake-
Updating your profile
- It is important to keep your profile updated when using Handshake
- Navigate to the Profile page and complete all the required fields in the Personal section
- Click 'Save changes and continue"
- Navigate to the "Jobs" menu to the left side of the screen
What's the difference between Jobs and Interviews?
- 'Jobs' are positions that do not have an interview schedule in Handshake
- 'Interviews' are positions that have an interview schedule
- 'Jobs I Qualify for' will only show posts that match information in your profile
- You can also search by Position Type, Keyword, or Job location
- Click on "Job Title" to view more details about the job including the application process
RSVP to Information Sessions & Career Workshops
- Navigate to the "Events" page on the left side of the screen
- Events are categorized as either "Information Sessions" or "Workshops"
Click on the event for more details and to RSVP
- Ensure your Profile indicates "Graduate Student." Otherwise, you will not be able to view events.
Uploading and Locating Documents
- Click "View Profile" on the left hand side of the screen
The Documents section allows you to upload resumes, cover letters, and transcripts
- You can upload multiple documents but be sure to clearly label them to avoid confusion
Need Help with Handshake?
Contact Kelly George at 412-268-3842 or email@example.com, or stop by the Career Services office between 8:30am and 5:00pm.