Hiring International Students

Some employers may have the perception that hiring international students is difficult and time consuming due to cumbersome paperwork. However, the process is not as difficult as you may think.

Work Authorization

Students who are in the U.S. in legal F1 or J1 student (non-immigrant) status are generally eligible for student work authorization after completing their studies. This allows them to work in their field of study after completing their degree program for a limited time frame, provided they receive the necessary authorization before beginning employment. The amount of time for each type of work authorization and authorization procedures vary according to the student's immigration status and whether they used any of this work authorization while still a student.

For More Information

International students can learn more about these types of work authorization by contacting the Office of International Education (OIE) or by attending OIE presentations which explain the details. It is the student's responsibility to be knowledgeable about their eligibility for authorization and to provide information to the employer where necessary.

Quick Links