Information Security Policy and Management
Tomorrow’s leaders in cybersecurity need a strategic vision, driven by technical competency, risk management and governance, forward-leaning policy, and innovation. Heinz College is ready to prepare those leaders.
Advances in technology drive the success of modern organizations. With these advances comes an increasing cyber threat that must be adeptly managed by the organization. Our Master of Science in Information Security Policy and Management (MSISPM) program prepares future leaders to manage cybersecurity challenges through a strategic vision, utilizing not only technical defenses, but also leveraging sound risk management practices, deploying effective policy, and creating innovative ways to make the organization more resilient to threat and disruption.
Designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAEIAE), which is jointly sponsored by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security, Heinz College plays a vital role in advancing the state of the practice in cybersecurity.
Unique Features & Benefits
- Access to CERT: MSISPM students can connect to the world-famous CERT—providing access to over 25 years of experience and knowledge in cybersecurity as part of CMU’s Software Engineering Institute—as well as cybersecurity leaders through the joint CERT/Heinz College Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) certificate program.
- Managing Cyber Threats: As threats to digital information and privacy evolve, so must the technology manager. Our students channel their undergraduate and work experience—in areas such as accounting, engineering, computer science, and information technology—into a multi-disciplinary approach to managing cybersecurity.
- Quantitative management and technology: Our students establish themselves as valuable assets that can link management and technology in a collaborative approach to cybersecurity.
- Innovation Driven: Students innovate in the world of cybersecurity by learning how to synthesize technical, managerial, financial, and policy considerations toward organizational solutions that improve mission assurance and organizational value.
- Leadership development: Students advance their leadership potential by taking on unique cybersecurity roles and responsibilities in such areas as software assurance, security operations, security program management, knowledge management, and security analysis
- Exceptional alumni and employer networks: Our graduates work in Fortune 500 companies, top consulting firms, government agencies, and across critical infrastructure sectors such as banking and finance, energy, and healthcare.