MSIT GRE-GMAT Waiver Information
The MSIT Admissions Committee at Heinz College will waive the GRE/GMAT requirement for applicants who completed a previous graduate (master's or doctoral) degree within the last 10 years in a related field from a regionally-accredited institution in the United States (or equivalent abroad). Please note the following details:
- Successful completion of a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) does not qualify any applicant for a waiver of the GRE/GMAT requirement.
- Common related areas of graduate study include STEM majors (science, technology, engineering, math) and business administration with a strong quantitative focus. Areas of study that do not generally qualify applicants for a GRE/GMAT waiver include law (JD), management/leadership degrees lacking quantitative coursework, art, humanities, and liberal arts.
- If you are not sure if your graduate degree would be considered “related”, please email a copy of your unofficial academic transcript(s) to David Danenberg, Assistant Director of Admissions, to request review for a waiver of the GRE/GMAT requirement.
If you believe your degree meets the requirements for a waiver of the GRE/GMAT requirement, please carefully read all instructions and information on this page to submit your MSIT application without GRE or GMAT scores.
GRE/GMAT Waiver Request Instructions for MSIT at Heinz College
- Submit an online application and all required application materials except for the GRE/GMAT exam, including your official undergraduate and official grad school transcripts as described in our application instructions. If you upload an unofficial transcript for your graduate degree, your GRE/GMAT waiver will not be processed until after Heinz College receives your official graduate school transcript.
- On the online application, enter 01/01/2001 for your GRE test date; this will allow you to submit the application and will be a signal to us to look for a graduate transcript that will qualify you for the GRE/GMAT waiver.
- After we receive your online application and the official graduate school transcript, we will mark the GRE and GMAT as “waived”. Note that the official undergraduate transcript is a minimum requirement to apply, so please be sure to also submit your official undergraduate transcript.
- Note that the Admissions Committee may request additional information from applicants before reaching a final admission decision. In cases where an applicant applied with the GRE/GMAT waiver, the admissions committee may ask the applicant to take the GRE or GMAT and/or a university-level class at a regionally-accredited institution on their own to strengthen the application before the committee finalizes review. In these cases, applicants are allowed to transfer the application to a different starting date to allow time to take an exam and/or complete a course.
Frequently Asked Questions about the GRE/GMAT Waiver
Will Heinz College waive the GRE/GMAT requirement based on the number of years and/or type of work experience?
No, the GRE/GMAT requirement will not be waived based on work experience.
Will Heinz College accept other exam results in place of the GRE or GMAT?
No, applicants may not substitute other exam results for the GRE/GMAT (for example, we will not accept the LSAT or the MCAT).
If the GRE/GMAT requirement is waived, will I also receive a waiver for the TOEFL/IELTS requirement for non-native English speakers?
No, GRE/GMAT waiver approval status does not impact the TOEFL/IELTS requirement for non-native speakers of English. Visit our English Language Proficiency page for details regarding our TOEFL/IELTS requirements.
I took the TOEFL (or IELTS) exam. Do I still need to take the GRE or GMAT?
Yes, you must still take the GRE or GMAT. We do not accept the TOEFL (or IELTS) exam in place of the GRE or GMAT.
Does the GRE/ GMAT waiver policy listed above apply to other programs besides the MSIT program (campus/ hybrid/ online) at the Pittsburgh campus?
No, this policy is specific to the MSIT program administered by Heinz College's Pittsburgh campus. This policy does not apply to the MSIT program offered at CMU-Australia.