Follow the detailed instructions below for successfully completing your video interview and submitting it to Heinz College as part of your application for admission.
You have the option of completing a three-question video interview in support of your application for admission. The video interview is optional, but is strongly recommended for non-native speakers of English. We encourage all applicants to consider completing the video interview.
Please Note: After you begin the video interview, you will not be able to pause, cancel, or re-record any of your answers. Please keep this in mind as you decide when and where to complete your video interview. The video and audio must be of you, the applicant (not a proxy).
You will receive an email invitation from Kira Talent with your Check-In URL within 10 minutes after your application becomes COMPLETE for review by the admission committee. Once you have received the email invitation from Kira Talent, you can also access the Check-In URL on the Essays and Uploads page of the online application to begin your interview.
If you want to ensure that your video interview is available when your application is reviewed, please try to complete your interview within 7 days of the date you receive the invitation to the video interview (within 7 days of when your application becomes complete).
Here is what you can expect if you choose to complete the video interview:
- You will receive an email from the interview system AFTER your application becomes COMPLETE (all supporting materials received and all applicable official test scores verified). This status will be posted on the "status" page of your application.
- The email will include instructions to help ensure that your computer is set up correctly to begin the interview.
- You will then have unlimited opportunities to answer two randomly-selected practice questions an unlimited number of times to become comfortable with the system. Immediately after responding to each practice question, you will have an opportunity to watch your practice video. (Your practice videos will not be saved, nor will they be sent to Carnegie Mellon University.)
- Note that practice questions may not be similar to actual interview questions, but they will help you become familiar with the video interview system. As in a real, professional job interview, we do not share interview questions with you before the actual interview.
- When you begin the actual interview, you will be asked three (3) randomly-selected questions.
- After you see and hear each question, you will have 20 seconds to think about your answer.
- After the 20 seconds of preparation time ends, your computer will automatically begin to record your answer.
- You will have 60 seconds to provide each answer. You will have only one chance to answer each question.
- You will not be able to pause the interview after it starts.
- You will not be able to re-record any answer after the interview begins.
- You will only be able to complete the interview one time. If you want to ensure that your video interview is reviewed by the Admissions Committee, please be sure to complete your interview within seven days of receiving the email invitation to complete the video interview (from Kira Talent). You should receive this invitation within 10 minutes of when your application becomes COMPLETE.
- As with a live interview, you will not be able to view your answer to any questions from your video interview, nor will you be able to view your completed video interview.
At the conclusion of your interview, you will see a very short Thank You video to confirm your video submission. You will also receive a confirmation email from Kira Talent after your video interview has been completed. Your video interview will be automatically added to your online application.