Fandom in Music and Media
Music and all forms of entertainment are inextricably tied. From the earliest development of human expression to the technologically diverse present, visuals, performances, marketing, and play of all kinds, have utilized music to tell stories. Music in programming (movies/ TV shows/ games) is arguably the most influential method for exposing audiences to new artists and heightening the reach of superstars and/or classic artists. Today Music Supervision has transcended the simple goal of licensing songs for use in programming. The role can, and often does, serve as the key liaison between artists, labels, composers, directors, show runners, networks, finance, business and legal affairs, producers, marketing, consumer products, and press. The goal of this class is to provide students with the broadest understanding of the job of Music Supervisor as well as the potential of music supervision as a career to parallel the hierarchy in production generally. From the PA role assisting the Music Supervisor working on a project at the production level, to the senior executive shaping a broad network/company music strategy, we will focus on the tools necessary to understand the realities and envision the possibilities.
- Examine and evaluate the creative process of choosing and incorporating music into a production (TV, Film, Video Game etc). The art of it.
- Articulate a cursory knowledge of the licensing issues, copyright/publishing concerns, and the various roles and stakeholders that are participants in any negotiation. The business of it.
- Analyze the role of social media, networks, streaing services, producers, creatives and legal that are vital to the process. The psychology of it.
- Gain understanding of the continuum from finding 'the song' to seeing it locked in a project. Between those points students will become familiar with 'needle drops', composing issues, cue sheet creation and delivery, custom licensing arrangement vs. boiler plate agreements, in the creation of a movie, video game, or TV show. The reality of it.
- Investigate various existing projects that inspire and exemplify successful music usage across all media. The beauty of it.