Businesses must compete in new ways for growth and relevancy, driven by rapidly expanding digital innovation and complexity. As a result, organizations have become reliant upon an ability of their people and leaders to embrace continuous change for strategic gain while delivering continuous, incremental value.
This explains the shift industry is making to Agile Methods; replacing outdated ways of organizing and managing software development and delivery. In this course we learn the history of agile methods, we explore Kanban, DevOps and, more deeply, the Scrum Framework, as it is the most popular and sits at the root of most every enterprise framework used to “scale agility” throughout large organizations.
- We teach what it means to be a modern Entrepreneurial Leader through effective Product Ownership.
- We teach what it means to lead effective High-Performance Teaming through Self-Leadership, Values and Principles.
- We teach what kind of Leadership makes or breaks this in organizations big and small, and offer many case studies, storytelling and deeper insights through in-class teaming exercises.
Who this course benefits:
Many are in pursuit of playing strategic Product Owner and Scrum Master roles, as well as supporting roles in Product management, development and deliver - if this is you, this is a course you really must consider - speak to your student network about the value it brings in your career goals.
Agile Methods is the perfect course for entrepreneurially-minded professionals having career aspirations within any departmental functions (such as Product Management, Product Development, Human Resources, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Supply Chain, etc.) and wanting to learn through practical application how organizations deliver continuous value and embrace continuous change.
1. Students will gain hands-on skills and experience applying Agile Values and Principles, Agile Frameworks as they engage in using Scrum and Kanban during this course - both are popular agile methodologies in high demand with today's employers!
2. Students will be able to demonstrate critical thinking and applied problem solving against a complex holistic system of agile values, principles and practices, and challenges of scaling to the enterprise.
3. Students will learn the strategic business drivers and benefits of agile methods, and the inherent complexities companies experience while adopting and scaling agile to the enterprise.
4. Learning Scrum by using Scrum; through effective Teaming, and Leading Teams we learn what is required for results, how to amplify and accelerate.
Required Heinz (Pittsburgh-Based) Courseware in support of these objectives:
- Students are required to purchase the book (audio version is acceptable), “The Scrum Fieldbook – A Master Class on Accelerating Performance, Better Results and Defining the Future”.
- Each student will own a copy of the "Licensed Scrum Master and Product Owner (LSMPO)" courseware created by Dr. Jeff Sutherland (co-creator of Scrum and the founder of Scrum.inc); student accounts will be charged $50 by CMU Administrators for payment of the (student discounted rate) licensing fee. This includes the a free attempt at earning either the Licensed Product Owner - or - Licensed Scrum Master certification at the conclusion of the course depending on your career goals.