Data Focused Python
This seven-week course focuses on the fundamentals of computer programming using the Python 3 interpreted programming language. Students will develop their problem-solving skills using the top-down procedural decomposition approach to build real-world based software applications. Pupils will also learn the basics of the software development lifecycle: planning, development, testing, implementation and maintenance. Assignments will include weekly homework and bi-weekly fundamental checkpoint quizzes, top-down approach programming projects within a capstone object-oriented data focused project. Learners will study how to build professional, user-friendly computer programs applicable to realworld applications in an IT-modeled environment.
- Use the Python Spyder, PyCharm, and/or IDLE integrated development environment in interactive and script mode to both test code snippets and author professional programs.
- Learn Windows text command line usage for writing and executing Python source code.
- Develop problem-solving skills through practice and understanding of the top-down approach.
- Form and manipulate collections of data: list, tuple, set, dict, NumPy ndarray, and Pandas Series and DataFrame
- Produce modules of function definitions for code reuse.
- Create object-based algorithms to solve real-world problems using the Python language.
- Be exposed to the SDLC (software development lifecycle) to understand how software applications are authored in industry.
At least one semester long course in computer programming (in a language such as Python, C, C++, Java, or C#) or equivalent hands-on programming experience.