Distinguished Service Professor
David Steier is a Distinguished Service Professor in the Heinz College School of Information Systems and Management, where he teaches courses on data science for product management, managing analytics projects, designing smart systems and artificial intelligence.
Prior to joining CMU, David was Managing Director in Deloitte Consulting's Data Science practice. At Deloitte, David helped clients use advanced data analytics and visualization in a variety of industries including health care, banking, retail, manufacturing, telecommunications, media and the public sector. Prior to Deloitte, David held positions as Director in the Center for Advanced Research at PwC, Senior Director of Technology and Business Development at Kanisa, and Managing Director at Scient. David was also a Senior Lecturer at the University of California Berkeley's School of Information, where he was course lead and co-instructor for the data science capstone class in the Masters in Information and Data Science program.
Beyond the general topics of data science and artificial intelligence, David's research interests are in data-driven approaches to behavioral change, particularly in health and wellness.
- 90-835 - Special Topics: Designing Smart and Healthy Systems
- 94-881 - Managing Analytic Projects
- 94-892 - Communicating COVID: Using Data & Visualizations to Build Trust and Cause Action
- 95-851 - Making Products Count: Data Science for Product Managers
- 95-891 - Introduction to Artificial Intelligence