“Streaming, Sharing, Stealing” Garners National Acclaim for Heinz College Faculty Members
The entertainment establishment faces an unprecedented challenge: game-changing disruptors like Netflix, Amazon and Apple are upending industries long controlled by a handful of powerful studios, networks and publishing houses. Leaders in motion pictures, television, music and publishing must adapt their business models to harness customer data and keep pace with competitors, while navigating threats of piracy, and shifts in consumer behavior.
In Streaming, Sharing, Stealing: Big Data and the Future of Entertainment (MIT Press, Sept. 5, 2016), Heinz College entertainment analytics experts Michael D. Smith and Rahul Telang explain why the rise of data analytics (and Big Data) is profoundly changing today’s entertainment industries, and how these industries can navigate the path forward in their changing marketplace.
Since its release, Streaming, Sharing, Stealing has received media attention from major news outlets (including The Wall Street Journal and The Financial Times), major technology blogs and major entertainment industry blogs praising the book’s importance in shaping best practices for the entertainment industry in the age of digital streaming.
“Smith and Telang lay out a course of action that is far-reaching yet considered,” writes The Wall Street Journal’s Frank Rose in his review of the book. “Most media executives will find it painful even to contemplate. But they have no choice: Scarcity is being eliminated as we speak. For those in the business of keeping us entertained, Streaming, Sharing, Stealing is a handbook for living without it.”
What the Press is Saying
- Review: ‘Streaming, Sharing, Stealing’ (Financial Times)
- Streaming, Downloading, Sharing: A Brave New World for TV and Music (Leonard Lopate Show, WNYC)
- We’re All Cord Cutters Now (Wall Street Journal)
- How Big Data is Reshaping the Entertainment Industry (The Street)
- Nasdaq Reads: Big Data and the Future of Entertainment
- The Show Must Go On (Digital Cinema Report)
- Hollywood’s Data Challenge (Digital Cinema Report)
- Smith and Telang Usher In the Post-Copyright-Wars Era with Streaming, Sharing, Stealing (Copyright & Technology)
- How Big Data is Disrupting Hollywood (Yahoo! Finance)
- Why Amazon, Netflix and Google are Upending the Entertainment Industry (The Street)
- Streaming, Sharing, Stealing – Data-Driven Marketing (BBS Radio)