IMPACT POWERED BY CREATIVITY
Master of Arts Management (MAM)
Arts and cultural institutions need leaders who are as passionate as the artists and audiences they support. These organizations face unique challenges in the digital age, and the Master of Arts Management (MAM) program prepares students to face those challenges and ensure that the arts continue to thrive.
Combining the renowned interdisciplinary and creative power of Carnegie Mellon University's College of Fine Arts with the analytical expertise of Heinz College, the MAM program cross-trains graduates to be arts managers who can lead any organization at the highest level and have lasting impact on the communities they serve.
Our innovative approach centers on the intersection of people, policy, and technology with an arts focus. Courses in analytics and quantitative management—alongside exciting opportunities for industry-centered experiential learning—will train you to navigate the rapidly changing cultural economy of the 21st century.
You will emerge from the MAM program with a coveted skillset that arts organizations need and seek. Nowhere else will you find this type of skills-based, future-facing, tech-driven approach to arts management education. Nowhere else will you find this level of impact.
Our faculty and students work on some of the industry’s most challenging problems:
- Innovating new modes of audience engagement using data and tech
- Conducting case studies to discover and recommend best practices for residency programs
- Bringing evidence-based decision-making to arts education and advocacy
- Measuring the economic and intrinsic impact of the arts to promote creative placemaking
- Creating mission-driven, sustainable financial models that mutually benefit artists, audiences, and arts organizations
- Transcending brick-and-mortar constraints with innovative technology and data-informed modeling
- Developing culturally responsible management practices to foster equity and inclusion
- Devising models that help arts organizations share data and community insights
Play, Create, and Innovate
#1 Analytics Program
Learn From the Best
My Story: Karyme
Karyme Garzon Mahmud is from Colombia. She used the analytics training she received at Heinz College to gather data that supports her fundraising efforts.
My Story: Moses
As a member of the accelerated MAM program, Moses Garcia studies directing in CMU's School of Drama while earning his Master of Arts Management degree.
My Story: Liz
Liz Kane is from Boston. Liz chose CMU because she believed analytics and tech were underutilized in creative industries. Now, she’s helping orchestras thrive.
Our faculty are innovators who rethink what’s possible.