Is MAM Right For Me?
The Master of Arts Management (MAM) program is a joint degree offered by Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College and College of Fine Arts.
MAM is a full-time, two-year professional degree program based in Pittsburgh. The program trains students to seek evidence-based solutions to problems facing the arts and cultural sector as well as associated arts education and advocacy organizations, heritage organizations, and related fields. It is the ideal fit for students with a passion for the arts who wish to ensure the strength of artistic and cultural institutions, using effective quantitative management techniques to weather the complex technological, social, and political changes affecting the industry.
Typically, MAM students have a strong connection to the arts in their backgrounds, either in the form of work experience, prior education, or artistic practice. However, such experience is not a pre-requisite; the MAM program is a degree well-suited to anyone with an interest in quantitative skills and a dedication to a career in arts management.
MAM not what you’re looking for? Return to the Program Finder.
Curriculum & Class Profile
MAM students take classes from both Heinz College and the College of Fine Arts.
For detailed curriculum information, please visit the MAM Student Handbook.
SAMPLE SCHEDULE: MaM
Below is one possible schedule for the two-year MAM program. Actual schedules will vary depending on location and electives.
Class titles in bold are core courses. Heinz College offers a mix of full-semester (14 weeks) and half-semester courses (7 weeks) for core and elective courses.
Year 1 - Fall SEMESTER
- Arts Enterprises: Structures & Strategies
- Organizational Design and Implementation*
- Statistical Methods
- Applied Economic Analysis
- Writing for Creative Enterprises*
- Arts Management Professional Seminar
- Elective such as Public Art* or Arts Facilities Management*
Year 1 - Spring SEMESTER
- Fundraising: Individual & Institutional Giving
- Arts Marketing and Public Relations*
- Financial Analysis*
- Strategic Presentation Skills*
- Principles of Marketing*
- Arts Management Professional Seminar II
- Introduction to Database Management*
Elective such as Human Resources for Non-Profit Management or Arts and Community Development
--REQUIRED SUMMER INTERNSHIP--
Year 2 - Fall SEMESTER
- Leading with Equity and Inclusion*
- Creating Results-Oriented Programs*
- Advanced Topics in Fundraising*
- Introduction to Business Law for Arts Managers
- Exhibitions Management* OR Producing a Performing Arts Season*
- Disruptive Technology in Arts Enterprises
Year 2 - Spring SEMESTER
- Arts Industry Capstone Project
- Telling Stories With Data*
- Audience Engagement and Participation*
- Arts in Education*
- Cultural Policy and Advocacy*
- Museum Operations* OR Presenting Live Performances and Festivals*
A DAY IN THE LIFE
An unvarnished look at the life of a Heinz College student. For more, follow us on Instagram.
WHO ARE MAM'S STUDENTS?
The average MAM class is diverse, both in terms of demographics and prior experience with the arts. Data shown reflects the last three years.
See the Admissions page for detailed admissions requirements for the MAM program.