IT Lab: Summer Security Intensive (SSI)
As our world becomes increasingly digitized, the privacy, intellectual property, and fraud risks continue to grow. These cyber threats are relevant to all sectors of the economy and are driving a major talent shortage in the information security industry. Our Summer Security Intensive will begin to prepare its participants for a career in this high-growth field.
IT Lab: Summer Security Intensive (SSI) is a paid seven-week summer fellowship during which participants:
- Study with the world’s leading security, analytics, and policy researchers, including the CERT division of the Software Engineering Institute
- Take coursework in security analytics and policy
- Apply knowledge, skills, and abilities gained via experiential learning to improve the cybersecurity posture of local organizations
SSI is a fellowship program for rising college seniors. This program is designed for U.S. citizens and permanent residents interested in pursuing graduate degrees and careers in the information security sector.
Students who complete SSI and are later admitted to a master’s program at Heinz College will be eligible to receive a scholarship of at least 50% of tuition.
Whether you're interested in IT, data analytics, or cybersecurity, SSI delivers an excellent summer experience. Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College of Information Systems and Public Policy is home to the best master’s programs in IT Management and Information Security in the world. Our cybersecurity curriculum is relevant not only for technologists but also for students from all backgrounds with a sincere interest in IT security and policy.
The pairing of our two schools, the School of Information Systems and Management and the School of Public Policy and Management, offers a unique academic experience that allows us to examine how technology can be used to solve problems that arise in the public and private sectors of our economy. Heinz College prepares students to conduct careful and objective analysis of relevant data, to understand and leverage the power of information technology, and to lead and implement change in managerial and policy contexts.
SSI provides an opportunity for participants to engage in this unique academic and experiential learning environment. Participants take classes and interact with some of the world's foremost experts in information security through:
- Three specialized online courses over the summer at CMU focusing on security policy and technology implementation, as well as engaging in an interactive colloquium that addresses issues facing security professionals.
- Work with a real-world client (from the local government or non-profit sectors) on a cybersecurity-related project
IT Lab Projects
During the seven-week SSI program, students will participate in a group project, fulfilling an actual business or operational need for our partners, giving students the opportunity to have a measurable impact.
IT Lab: SSI 2022 Details
- Priority Application Deadline: February 1, 2023 (receive admission decision by mid-February)
- Final Application Deadline: April 1, 2023 (receive admission decision by May 1)
- Dates: June 8, 2023 to July 29, 2023
- Financial Support: Heinz College will cover costs of participation in the IT Lab program. This includes the costs of housing, meals, tuition, books, supplies, social functions, travel expenses to and from Pittsburgh (within the United States) AND a $1,500 stipend.
Applicants should carefully review the IT Lab: SSI Application Process prior to submitting the application for admission.
Apply Now - No Application Fee
Questions regarding ITLab? Contact the Heinz College Office of Admissions at email@example.com or by phone (412) 268-2164.