MSPPM: Data Analytics
Heinz College offers a depth of analytics coursework that is unrivaled among policy schools, and the intense MSPPM: Data Analytics pathway is our most quantitatively rigorous public policy program.
As the modern world generates massive amounts of data, large organizations, government agencies, think tanks, and consulting firms all seek the brightest minds who can interpret and analyze that data in order to improve public programs and policies in areas such as education, transportation, the environment, criminal justice, economic development, national security and defense, and health care.
You, too, can take on such challenges.
The MSPPM: Data Analytics pathway will train you to harness the power of data and analytic technologies to transform organizations that serve the public interest. Our co-location with Heinz College's top-ranked School of Information Systems and Management gives MSPPM-DA graduates a truly unique skill set, and are highly sought by employers, including the top firms and agencies in our partner network.
In addition to world-renowned faculty with deep expertise in analytics, Heinz College houses several analytics-driven research institutes, including iLab, Living Analytics Research Center, Metro21, and Traffic21, providing even greater exposure to real-world problems and decision-making while in school.
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Duration: 2 years / 4 semesters (Fall, Spring, Summer Internship, Fall, Spring)
My Story: Justin
Justin Cole (MSPPM '17) is from Watertown, New York. He approached the MSPPM: Data Analytics program the same he he approaches running. By putting one foot in front of the other.
My Story: Krista
Krista Kinnard (MSPPM '17) spent time in the Peace Corps before coming to Heinz. Learn why she chose the MSPPM: Data Analytics pathway, and how it transformed her career.
MSPPM: DATA ANALYTICS CURRICULUM
YEAR 1 - FALL SEMESTER
- Programming R for Analytics
- Statistical Reasoning with R
- Intro to Database Management
- Intermediate Database Design and SQL
- Intro to Programming with Python
- Applied Economic Analysis
- Writing for Public Policy
- Strategic Presentation Skills
YEAR 1 - SPRING SEMESTER
- Management Science I & II
- Applied Econometrics I & II
- Data Mining
- Policy & Politics: American or International Perspective
- Financial Analysis
- Financial Statements and Analytics for Companies
--REQUIRED SUMMER INTERNSHIP--
YEAR 2 - FALL SEMESTER
- Organizational Design & Implementation
- Data Science and Big Data
- Applied Analytics: the Machine Learning Pipeline
- A/B Testing: Design and Analysis
- AI, Society, and Humanity
- Cities, Technology, and the Environment
YEAR 2 - SPRING SEMESTER
- Data Analytics Capstone Project
- Decision Analytics for Business and Policy
- Big Data and Large Scale Computing
- Managing Analytics Projects
- Critical Analysis of Policy Research