WHAT PROBLEMS DO YOU WANT TO SOLVE?
Master of Science in Public Policy & Management (MSPPM)
Heinz College is a public policy school like no other. That’s because we're so much more than a policy school.
To tackle society’s most complex problems, a firm understanding of policy is essential, but so are the technology and analytical foundations to create the right solutions—and the management prowess to deploy those solutions for maximum impact. The Master of Science in Public Policy & Management (MSPPM) program at Heinz College gives you skills that simply cannot be matched by any other school of public policy, school of management, or school offering purely technical training.
Policy. Technology. Management. Heinz College is the only place to get all three.
The MSPPM program is available in five distinct pathways—our flagship two-year and three-semester programs in Pittsburgh, our award-winning Data Analytics program, our Washington D.C. option for those seeking an immersion in policy analysis in our nation’s capital, and our exciting Global track which begins in Adelaide, Australia. Regardless of the path you choose, our MSPPM program builds well-rounded thinkers prepared to change the world at the nexus of people, policy, and technology. You will emerge a leader with the ability to convert data into evidence-based action for a better world.
Some of the world’s greatest challenges, that our faculty and students are working to solve:
- Addressing barriers to homeownership for households of color
- Blocking the financing of terrorism and human trafficking
- Predicting societal impacts of legal cannabis
- Combating the opioid crisis through smart countermeasures
- Innovating in transportation to help lower income citizens connect to jobs
- Revolutionizing government agencies' capacity to use data to improve programs
- Using data to enhance policies to expand access to support and housing for people experiencing homelessness
- Creating policy tools to more effectively support innovation and economic development
- Protecting the Internet from cybercrime
- Reducing homicide rates using machine learning
- Thwarting piracy of digital media
- Eradicating food waste and hunger with mobile technology
Leader in Innovation
A Diverse, Inclusive Community
My Story: Maria
Maria Ibarra (MSPPM '19) is from the Rio Grande Valley. As a "Dreamer" from a low-income single-parent household, she knows how policy impacts people and is fighting for change.
My Story: Krista
Krista Kinnard (MSPPM '17) spent time in the Peace Corps before coming to Heinz. Learn why she chose the MSPPM: Data Analytics pathway, and how it transformed her career.
Learn from professors like Rayid Ghani, a machine learning expert focused on AI and data for social good. Our faculty are innovators who solve emerging problems at the nexus of technology and society.