WHAT PROBLEMS DO YOU WANT TO SOLVE?
Master of Science in Public Policy & Management (MSPPM)
Heinz College is a public policy school like no other. That’s because we're so much more than a policy school.
To tackle society’s most complex problems, you need a firm understanding of policy, but also the technological and analytical foundations to create the right solutions—and the management prowess to deploy those solutions for maximum impact. The Master of Science in Public Policy & Management (MSPPM) program at Heinz College gives you skills that simply cannot be matched by any other school of public policy, school of management, or school offering purely technical training.
Policy. Technology. Management. Heinz College is the only place to get all three.
The MSPPM program is available in four distinct pathways—our flagship two-year and three-semester programs in Pittsburgh, our award-winning Data Analytics program, and our Washington D.C. option for those seeking an immersion in policy analysis in our nation’s capital. Regardless of the path you choose, our MSPPM program builds well-rounded thinkers prepared to change the world at the nexus of people, policy, and technology. You will emerge a leader with the ability to convert data into evidence-based action for a better world.
Some of the world’s greatest challenges that our faculty and students are working to solve include:
- Addressing barriers to homeownership for households of color
- Blocking the financing of terrorism and human trafficking
- Predicting societal impacts of legal cannabis
- Combating the opioid crisis through smart countermeasures
- Innovating in transportation to help lower income citizens connect to jobs
- Using data to enhance policies to expand access to support and housing for people experiencing homelessness
- Enabling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline to serve 20,000 additional callers
- Creating policy tools to more effectively support innovation and economic development
- Protecting the Internet from cybercrime
- Reducing homicide rates using machine learning
- Thwarting piracy of digital media
- Eradicating food waste and hunger with mobile technology
- Revolutionizing government agencies' capacity to use data to improve programs
- Empowering public health organizations to prioritize their resources using predictive modeling
Leader in Innovation
A Diverse, Inclusive Community
My Story: Clarissa
Clarissa Paz fell in love with Geographic Information Systems upon arriving at Heinz College and cherished the opportunity to work with Professor Kristen Kurland, a GIS expert.
My Story: Maria
Maria Ibarra is from the Rio Grande Valley. As a "Dreamer" from a low-income single-parent household, she knows how policy impacts people and is fighting for change.
My Story: Felix
Felix Tettey is from Ghana. Hear about how the MSPPM: Washington, D.C. pathway is powering his goals in economics and international development.
Learn from professors like Rayid Ghani, a machine learning expert focused on AI and data for social good. Our faculty are innovators who solve emerging problems at the nexus of technology and society.